Thursday, January 14, 2010

Spiced Basmatic Rice Pilaf

Where did the day go? I looked up from my computer and it was pitch black outside. I planned on making this dish tonight, but I wanted to whip up something quick.

My solution for "quick" was to streamline the cooking time of this recipe by using the two cups of cooked rice I had in the refrigerator, albeit brown rice. I cut the spice quantities in half and added only enough vegetable stock to rehydrate the rice. While I was sauteing the onion, garlic and red pepper (extra ingredient) in my wok and was mixing in the other ingredients, cauliflower was cooking in my vegetable steamer and served on the side (an option would be to toss bite-size pieces of the steamed cauliflower with the rice). We ate in about 20-minutes. Simple, tasty, satisfying and nutritious!

This recipes comes from my challenge cookbook The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen by Donna Klein on page 120.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons canola oil ( I used olive oil)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups basmati rice (I used brown rice and it was very good)
2 teaspoons cumin seed (I used cumin powder)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon chili powder, gluten-free
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, gluten-free
1-1/2 cups frozen peas

Directions:

  1. In a deep-sided non-stick skillet (or wok) with a lid, heat oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the onions and stir for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
  3. Add the rice, cumin, turmeric and chili powder, stirring for 1 minute.
  4. Add the broth, peas, salt and pepper. ( I prefer adding the peas just before serving so they are warmed through and green).
  5. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to simmer and cover for 15 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
  6. Fluff the rice and serve hot.
Serves 4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment