Monday, December 13, 2010

Gluten Free Take-Out Pizza

My husband didn't know when he called late this afternoon that I didn't feel like cooking dinner tonight. However, he did call to say that when he came home for lunch today, he checked the mailbox, and in it there was a handwritten message on the back of a Gluten Free Menu from Papa's Pizza. It reads:
"Here's the menu. It sounds like you may not have been to Papa's before. I'd describe their pizza as consistently mediocre, but, they do have a respectable salad bar & gluten free pizza." S
S is a neighbor of mine, who recently introduced himself when passing my house on foot while on his way to walk the Amazon Trail. He knew of me through the community newsletter, which posts updates, including a note that we were new to the neighborhood. S mentioned that he is planning the annual neighborhood potluck and wanted to know what I thought of it being held at Papa's Pizza. I said that it was something to consider, but wondered if they had a gluten-free menu. This note in our mailbox was a follow-up to that conversation.

Back to my husband. He also called me to tell me that he had called in an order to Papa's Coburg location for a medium vegetarian pizza. Wow... I've been craving take-out pizza for over a week. It has been at least four years since I've eaten take-out pizza, and only a few occasions that I can think of where we ordered a gluten-free pizza at a restaurant. We arrived home about the same time, hungry, and dove right into the pizza with only a 30-second warm-up in the microwave. Pizza craving satisfied! Not bad... actually, pretty good. And I didn't have to cook.



Papa's Pizza - Vegetarian
Olive, Mushroom, Green Pepper, Onion, Tomato, and Cheese

Papa's Pizza crust is Bavaria Mills' gluten free, soy free pizza crust. Ingredients: rice flour, chickpea flour, eggs, sorghum syrup, grapeseed oil, olive oil, potato starch, rice bran, xanthan gum, sea salt, yeast, rice vinegar, chia meal and guar bean gum.
"
Bavaria Mills is a Wholesale Bakery in Vancouver WA but they will ship retail orders with a $50 minimum balance. Call them at (360) 571-7619 and stock up your freezer." Gluten Free Mom
Papa's Pizza gluten-free pizzas can be ordered in either a 10" or 12" size, with a selection of over a dozen pizzas and extra toppings to choose from. If you dine at the restaurant, there is a large salad bar with a list, for your convenience, of all the items that are not gluten-free.

Next time I see S, I'll not only thank him for the introduction, I'll give him a thumbs up for having our neighborhood get-together at Papa's.

No comments:

Post a Comment