Sunday, October 4, 2009

Give Yourself Permission





The other day I grabbed my camera to snap a few shots of my granddaughter toddling about my kitchen. Alas, my camera was good for a few frames, then the batteries died. Sometimes unfortunate circumstances provide opportunity to re-access our perspective and give us creative license we needed to call something we did art or an infusion of some other kind of creativity. At first glance, when I discovered that none of my photos "turned out", I was disappointed. Then I looked again with fresh eyes and saw a lovely capture of Sephira in motion, in soft focus. I will treasure it always as a memory of those fleeting days where she went from pulling herself up and standing as tall as she could on her tip toes to taking off running in the store with her mama having to chase after her.

Back in the early 90's I took a creative writing workshop in Edmonds, Washington from the prolific writer J.A. Jance. She said, " I didn't start writing until I finally gave my self permission. It's important you give yourself permission".  What she said has stuck with me, and I've put this word of advice into practice numerous times throughout the years following. Somehow, along life's journey, I dis-allowed myself the child-like freedom of play and discovery. It's time to enjoy playing with food again, discovering new ways of seeing behind the lens of my camera, and writing freely about my experiences without concern how anyone else who stumbles upon my blog will enjoy it or find me a bore. It's my life... and I am happy to share some of my journey with you.



1 comment:

  1. And I'm happy to be a part of your life and benefit from your enlightenment. You are an inspiration. By you giving yourself permission, you open the window to me as well... and maybe I'll find the time to give myself some permission as well.

    ReplyDelete