Thursday, October 22, 2009

Roasted Ling Cod, Mexican Rice and a Thankful Heart

Today turned out to be one in which I eventually ran out of emotional and physical energy, yet I was hoping to gather enough steam to cook a couple more dishes from my Cooking Course Challenge cookbooks. I almost opted for cheese, crackers and organic soup from a box. Instead, my husband gave me a much needed shoulder massage and poured me a glass of wine as I set to work in the kitchen to make us dinner.  I regrouped, relaxed, and it was well worth the effort. We sat down to a lovely meal and gave thanks to the Lord. Every bite was deliciously rewarding.

Tonight’s fare was Roasted Ling Cod (recipe calls for bass) with Parsley Butter from Raman Prasad’s Recipes for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet from page 135, served with lightly steamed spinach and Mexican Rice from page 140 of Donna Klein’s The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen.

Here’s Prasad’s recipe for Parsley Butter:

4 tablespoons of butter, softened
1-1/2 tablespoons almond flour
2 shallots, minced
4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
3 limes, juiced
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the almond flour, shallots, garlic, parsley, lime juice and softened butter in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. I substituted cayenne for black pepper.

This savory butter would be excellent with any grilled, roasted or baked fish and can be made in advance, by storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Before using, allow the butter to soften.



I have to say that the hearty, perfectly seasoned Mexican Rice was the best I have ever eaten, anywhere, ever. The house was fragrant with the pungent aroma of chili powder, cumin and garlic slow cooking together with stewed tomatoes, green pepper and onion with rice. From now on, I will cook this rice dish anytime we have a Mexican-themed meal or potluck with family and friends.



Cuanto más gratitud que tenemos, más tenemos que ser agradecidos para.
The more gratitude we have, the more we have to be grateful for.

3 comments:

  1. The photos and recipes are adding a touch of "taste" to my time and space here Cris.

    Thanks. Hope you are feeling pretty darn good today.

    kw

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first ling cod ever. I had always bought true cod, as I had been told it was the best. The ling cod was tender, moist, and matched the best true cod or even halibut...bite for bite. Delicious. When topped with the parsely butter, the flavor went far away from the fish and chips of the British Isles,and was much more delicate and aromatic.
    The Mexican rice was familiar enough in texture and smell. We have all been there. The taste is where it took off on its own. Cris put cumin in it. It added terrific depth of flavor, that was not overpowering. The balance with the parsley butter made an exquisite meal. Too bad you missed it. You can come over next time if you call ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you wish we could adjust a "scratch & sniff" level like we do with volume control? I'd go full "sniff" on this one ; )

    ReplyDelete