2 cups Coconut Milk beverage, unsweetened (I used SoDelicious brand)
2 Baguettes, Udi's gluten-free (defrosted and cubed) OR 12 slices gluten-free bread (cubed)
4 Green Onions, sliced
1-1/2 cups fresh Mushrooms, chopped
1-2 cups fresh Spinach, chopped
1/2 tsp. Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Pinch or two of Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
2 cups of shredded Cheddar Cheese
Optional Ingredients: Red Bell Pepper (chopped or minced), Butternut Squash (cooked and cubed, small), Herbs (garlic, thyme, oregano, with Paprika and/or Goat Cheese (crumbled) for a topping.
- Grease a 13X9 inch glass baking dish with butter or a butter substitute (my preference).
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, coconut milk, Dijon mustard, Cayenne pepper, and seasoned salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together the cubed bread, shredded cheese, fresh mushrooms, spinach and green onions and any optional vegetable or herbs you wish to add.
- Add the bread mixture into the buttered baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread mixture in the baking dish.
- Refrigerate overnight covered with plastic wrap.
- In the morning, set the Egg Strata out on the counter to warm to room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven to 350-degrees.*
- Bake at 350-degrees for 50-60 minutes, until set and slightly browned on top.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
*NOTE: If the glass baking dish is still cool when you are ready to bake the Egg Strata, place the egg dish in the oven as soon as you begin to pre-heat the oven, and bake for 1 hour.