1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed
2 large Eggs, beaten
1 cup All-purpose Flour (gluten-free flour optional)
2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
Safflower or Canola Oil, for frying
Black Pepper, course ground (optional)
Barbecue Sauce, for dipping
1. In a deep, large pot of salted boiling water, boil Brussels sprouts until they turn bright green and are fork-tender. About 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Arrange three bowls: one for the flour, one for the beaten eggs, and one for the Panko bread crumbs.
3. In another deep, large pot (to avoid splatter), fill it with enough oil to reach 1" to 2" high and heat on medium-high (less, if using gas) until good and hot. You don't want to brown or burn the deep-fried sprouts. Do a test Brussels sprout first, before cooking the whole batch.
4. Dredge the Brussels sprouts first in flour, then in the egg mixture, and then in the Panko.
5. With a slotted spoon or wire ladle, lower the dredged brussels sprouts down into the hot oil and fry until evenly light golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes or less. Transfer Brussel sprouts to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt (and pepper).
6. Serve with barbecue sauce.