We prepared our family's favorite oven-baked salmon rubbed with freshly squeezed lemon juice, sprinkled with sea salt, smothered in sour cream, topped with thinly-sliced rings of onion and baked for 40-minutes at 350-degrees.
For side dishes, Tutu came up with two new recipes this year. Both were absolutely delicious. I'm getting hungry to the point of drooling, just thinking about them.
Unfortunately, there was so much going on while I was helping to serve up dinner that I forgot to take photos of our dishes, except for this one - our daughter Skye handing me a second helping of Potato Gratin. That's my mother Marjorie aka Tutu on the left and our grandson Max on the right.
Recipe for Potato Gratin
2-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
1 garlic clove, halved
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Course salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
- Peel potatoes and place in a bowl of water to prevent browning.
- Rub inside of a 9x12 inch oval baking dish with the cut sides of the garlic.
- Heat the cream, milk, nutmeg and 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat, until bubbles form along the edge.
- Season with pepper and remove from the heat.
- Slice the potatoes 1/8-inch thick using a slicing-mandoline and transfer to a large bowl.
- Pour the warm cream mixture over top.
- Mix well, using your hands to separate and coat the potato slices.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish.
- Gently push the potatoes down and pour the remaining cream mixture in the bowl over top.
- Evenly sprinkle the Gruyere cheese over the top.
- Place baking dish in the oven with a cookie sheet of foil on the rack below to catch drippings.
- Bake until the potatoes are tender and the top is bubbling and brown, about 1 hour and 15-minutes.
Recipe for Not Your Mama's Brussels Sprouts
1-3/4 pounds Brussels sprouts (outer leaves removed)
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
12 medium shallots, thinly sliced ( 2 cups)
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted and divided
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Using a food processor and working in batches, thinly slice the Brussels sprouts.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add shallots and saute until almost translucent for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add Brussels sprouts, increasing the heat to medium-high and saute until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of the toasted pine nuts and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the remaining pine nuts.