Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Red Curry-Spiced Pumpkin Soup

A couple days ago, our neighbor invited me over to share some of the last pumpkin from their garden with us. When I arrived, Kyle met me outside with an axe. She wanted to know how much of the 100 pound pumpkin I wanted. She hacked off a couple large chunks, which I brought home, cut into 8 thick slabs and roasted on two racks in my oven at 375-degrees for nearly two hours.

Some of them I vacuum sealed and froze; the rest I put in the refrigerator for making pumpkin soup this evening for our Christmas Eve lunch tomorrow with family.

I pureed two quarts of cubed roasted pumpkin in my food processor in two batches.



Ingredients:

2 quarts of pureed pumpkin
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1-6 teaspoons red curry powder (or paste; add more or less to taste)
2 teaspoons sea salt, finely ground

Directions:
  1. Pour the pureed pumpkin into your soup pot and begin cooking on medium-high heat.
  2. Add the coconut milk, butter and curry powder, and bring to a simmer.
  3. If you desire a thinner consistency, add water or vegetable stock.
  4. Add salt and adjust the curry according to your taste.
Serves 8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment