Monday, February 1, 2010

Diet for a Pain Free Life's Berry Nice Smoothie

Two weeks and four hours post-op and this is the first time I have been able to sit at my computer for more than a minute or two. So, I have to make this really short.

First I want to thank my daughter Effie for the amazing meals she cooked for us, which nourished us for a week and a half. And thank you to my husband who has taken care of my every need for the past couple of weeks without complaint.

Pain makes you cranky, exhausted, agitated... and did I say cranky?

A couple of days ago, I remembered a book I have on my shelf that I wished I'd thought of pre-op. Diet for a Pain Free Life by Harris H. McIlwain, MD and Debra Fulghum Bruce, PhD. Although my current diet pretty closely matches the recommended diet to live "pain-free"... anything I can do to better manage and reduce my level of pain nutritionally is essential.


My husband has been making me the Diet for a Pain Free Life's Berry Nice Smoothies for the past couple of days. Probably the best smoothie I have ever had. I love the zesty zing of fresh ginger.

Ingredients:

2 cups ice
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (or raspberries)
1/4 cup fresh or frozen blackberries or raspberries
1 cup calcium-fortified vanilla soy or rice milk
1/2 cup pineapple chunks (fresh or in juice)
1/2 banana (frozen)
1 tablespoon Splenda
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

Directions:

In a blender, pulse all the ingredients until smooth.

Serves 2

Wishing us all better health and a pain-free life!

No comments:

Post a Comment